It’s that time of the year where all our hanging baskets and planters could use a mid-summer spruce up.
Here are 7 tips for sprucing up your planters to make them last into the fall
- Fertilizer re-evaluation. Have you been fertilizing those beautiful baskets of yours? If not, it’s a good time to give them an extra shot. We recommend a 20-20-20 fertilizer at this time of the year on any annuals.
- Cut back any dead, or yucky looking branches. Anything that’s straggly, give it a bit of a haircut – let your plant put its energy into producing new growth and flowers.
- Check how much water your basket has. Is it super wet? If so, is it draining properly? Is it dry? If it’s dry, give it a good drink.
- Review the location your planter lives in. Do you have shade plants in the sun or vise versa? If so, relocate them so they’ll be in their ideal location.
- Record. Write down the plants in your hanging basket/planter and notes about how they grew. Did you like how they turned out? Did you like the colours? What would you change for next year?
- Take pictures. Don’t forget to take pictures to add to your landscape album. Oh the wonderful things we create but forget to photograph.
- Enjoy. Our summers are so short; remember to enjoy the work of art right in front of you in your yard.